Robotic instrument allows surgery on beating heart

Robotic instrument allows surgery on beating heart

Postby Markus Waibel on 24 Oct 2008, 08:18

A new robotic instrument has allowed surgeons to operate on a beating heart. The device developed by researchers from Harvard University and Children's Hospital Boston uses 3-D ultrasound images to predict the heart's motion 70 to 100 milliseconds in advance, and then compensates the heart's motion by moving surgical tools in concert.

Tests of the new robotic device to perform mitral-valve surgery on a pig have now confirmed its effectiveness. The instrument has the potential to increase the safety of the 50'000 mitral-valve surgeries performed in the US per year by avoiding the risks of bypass surgery. It may also lead to shorter recovery times and would allow the surgeon to get instant feedback on the effectiveness of the procedure.

Check out this short video!

Around the web:
Slashdot
Gizmodo
Tech Review
Markus Waibel
Robots Podcast Team Member

Re: Robotic instrument allows surgery on beating heart

Postby joseph131 on 19 Sep 2009, 15:52

Tests of the new robotic device to perform mitral-valve surgery on a pig was confirmed its effectiveness so it might now be a perfect instrument that has a potential to increase the safety of those 50'000 mitral-valve surgeries performed in the US per year by avoiding the risks of bypass surgery.

Postby satishbhawra53 on 13 Oct 2009, 23:20

A new robotic instrument has allowed surgeons to operate on a beating heart. The device developed by researchers from Harvard University and Children's Hospital Boston uses 3-D ultrasound images
satishbhawra53

Postby mary on 28 Oct 2009, 14:52

Hi Satish Bhawra.
I am Mary. It is sounds great and fearful that Robotic instrument allows surgery on beating heart. It is a great invention of a Human. I really appreciate it. I am interested in new invention of Robots and Robotics instruments so please tell me if you have anything new of that.
Thank you.
r4games
mary

Return to Podcast