Role of Robots in Society!

Role of Robots in Society!

Postby robotsnoob on 27 Oct 2008, 08:40

Hi guys! I'm a newbie here. Just curious about what the main role of robots is, what I feel is that they are mostly created for research purposes, such as sending robots to the planet Mars. What do you guys think?
robotsnoob

Re: Role of Robots in Society!

Postby Johnny 5 on 29 Oct 2008, 14:47

Mars ... hmm. How many robots on Mars? A handful at the last count?

Check out this post on Automaton: 6.5 Million Robots Now Inhabit the Earth:
... First, industrial robots: there are now nearly 1 million units toiling in factories around the world. As for service robots -- which range from military bomb-disposal bots to home vacuum cleaners -- their number grew to about 5.5 million. All of which brings the world's robot population to 6.5 million...

Lots of research bots for sure, but they are already out there... be watchful! Fortunately we are not alone ... the folks at the Robot Uprising offer some help and just a couple of weeks ago the first company to specialize on weapons against robots was launched.

Seriously though, I'm not sure what you mean by the main role of robots ... right now it's manufacturing. Next is probably entertainment (and military). Then ... well, you tell me! What do you think? :)
Johnny 5

Postby robotsnoob on 30 Oct 2008, 05:15

Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated, and the statistics you gave definitely helped me big time! :D

Well, "main role" meaning what is the main reason that robots are created for. Every robot has been created for different purposes, they are definitely designed to make our lives easier or even to enrich it.

I was just doing a research for the topic my lecturer gave, which is "Discuss the role of robots in society", but we all know robots are definitely created for many types of functions and not just one.

However, would robots ever replace us of our jobs or even our world?
robotsnoob

Postby Johnny 5 on 30 Oct 2008, 16:29

robotsnoob wrote:However, would robots ever replace us of our jobs or even our world?

Interesting questions. Will robots take our jobs?
I see technology in general and robotics in particular as a great chance. And I think the protectionist job argument is flawed:

An economist who visits China under Mao Zedong sees hundreds of workers building a dam with shovels. He asks: “Why don't they use a mechanical digger?” “That would put people out of work,” replies the foreman. “Oh,” says the economist, “I thought you were making a dam. If it's jobs you want, take away their shovels and give them spoons.”

I think protecting jobs rarely makes sense. Jobs are too important to waste. You shouldn't count jobs; you should make jobs count.

Will robots rule the world? I think this discussion is premature, there are still to many unknowns. Who knows, maybe in 20 or 50 years the line between robots and humans will be quite blurry...?
Johnny 5

Postby blitjian on 01 Feb 2009, 04:47

Johnny 5 wrote:
robotsnoob wrote:However, would robots ever replace us of our jobs or even our world?

Interesting questions. Will robots take our jobs?
I see technology in general and robotics in particular as a great chance. And I think the protectionist job argument is flawed:

No matter how good a robot can do its work well, they were just programmes telling them to execute the very specific commands, therefore they can perform only the commands given and nothing else. If a robot is commanded to only manufacture goods, they will still be executing the command even there's some other situations.
blitjian

Postby blitjian on 01 Feb 2009, 06:02

I think robots will never be able to take all our jobs, they are just machines running commands that they run on. Therefore they will never be able to create their own programme as they do not possesses the think mind that we have thus will never take over jobs that requires thinking, they can never create a new stuff, they can only reproduce existing products.
blitjian

Postby Johnny 5 on 04 Feb 2009, 01:27

Well, let's think this through though: Assume you are right and all robots are able to do is

blitjian wrote:execute the very specific commands

received from a human (I don't agree, but taht's a different discussion). Some advances in robotics provided, that could still put large sections of workers in the farming, construction, manufacturing and service industries out of a job, right? Enough to create quite a mess I would think - hope? ;)
Johnny 5

Postby rx78 on 26 Mar 2009, 04:58

blitjian wrote:they are just machines running commands that they run on.

I'd have to disagree to that... but yeah... that's another topic...

Well, just dropping by to ask around. You guys mentioned that robots can "replace" humans in eg. jobs. Do you think that that would probably make humans obsolete as robots can perform their
blitjian wrote:commands that they run on
better (as they rarely possess the human's knack of being distracted)? Just wondering though...
rx78

Postby smithdavid4321 on 11 Nov 2009, 11:31

Hi Robotsnoob,

This is Smith, I want to share some important information about the Robot. You are right it is designed for research purpose but it will also work as a human, It will do all the task which human can. It will become a need of our society in future. Its a one kind of technology and very useful to us. Thanks for creating such a nice topic.
smithdavid4321

Postby JohanEklund on 22 Dec 2009, 10:37

Interesting discussion!

I feel compeled to contribute with a critical question:

Isen't this the classic "Luddithe fallacy"? From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite :

The fallacy lies in assuming that employers will seek to keep production constant by employing a smaller, more productive workforce instead of allowing production to grow while keeping workforce size constant

Automation has never replaced jobs, only created the need for more specialized (less hard) work. I this way it seems that we trade "hard labour" for "specialization".

Kind regards Johan Eklund
JohanEklund

Next

Return to Podcast