Surgical bot folds Origami

Surgical bot folds Origami

Postby Markus Waibel on 18 Jun 2008, 10:47

Using the Da Vinci Robotic system from Intuitive Surgical, a surgeon has folded an origami smaller than a penny. Check out the video here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5997080660276538391

There was even a short paper published in the Journal of Surgical Endoscopy (DOI 10.1007/s00464-007-9416-4). Here's a brief excerpt:
We prepared square sheets of paper (2 cm by 2 cm), and folded crane origami using the da Vinci surgical system. Scaling was kept constant, as ‘‘ultra fine’’ mode, throughout the maneuver with zero degree scope of 10 times magnification, and EndoWrist black diamond forceps were mounted on both robotic arms. Folding of the crane origami was done in the same way as in the traditional Japanese manual method. The time to successful completion and all maneuvers were recorded. On the first two occasions we failed to fold the origami because we tore the paper. The third trial was successful, the total folding time being 23 minutes.
Markus Waibel
Robots Podcast Team Member

Re: Surgical bot folds Origami

Postby Bender on 18 Jun 2008, 11:35

The actuators in the video don't look very dexterous to me... plus, apparently one can go much smaller without robotic aid...

A square 1 mm by 1 mm was used to fold a crane using a microscope and sewing needle by Assistant Professor Watanabe at Nigata University, Japan.

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/origami.html
Bender

Re: Surgical bot folds Origami

Postby Markus Waibel on 18 Jun 2008, 13:45

Ouch. I'm sure you robots could do better ... actually, you're a bending unit ... how about it? I'll send you a small piece of sheet metal if you let me know an address! :)
Markus Waibel
Robots Podcast Team Member

Return to Podcast