Giant 18m Gundam Robot in Tokyo

Giant 18m Gundam Robot in Tokyo

Postby Markus Waibel on 17 Jul 2009, 08:46

A giant robot model of the long favourite robot animation "Gundam" has been erected in the centre of Tokyo, Japan. The model, which is 18 metres high and weighs 35 tonnes, was part of last weekend's kick-off of the 30th anniversary of Mobile Suit Gundam.

The robot is also part of Tokyo's bid for the 2016 summer olympics, and meant to inspire young people to support Tokyo 2016's green commitment and live healthy lifestyles. The icon also illustrates Japan's long-standing fascination with robots and technology.

BBC
Games Bids
Flickr
WIRED
Markus Waibel
Robots Podcast Team Member

Re: Giant 18m Gundam Robot in Tokyo

Postby Andreou George on 30 Jul 2009, 06:16

Even though I am not an anime fan, neither a transformer's fan, I admit that I find this robot-statue fascinating.

I went on an internet search wondering if there are any other giant robot statues around the world.
Well not quite, but in Japan they already are in the process of making a second one.

It's name is "Iron Man 28" or "Gigantor", it will be 18 meter height and will be placed at Kobe’s Wakamatsu Park.

More info and pictures here:
http://technabob.com/blog/2009/06/30/gi ... in-statue/
Andreou George

Re: Giant 18m Gundam Robot in Tokyo

Postby mw.test on 30 Jul 2009, 14:16

wow, cool ... these Japanese truly have a special place in their heart for robots!!

tx for the link! :D
mw.test

Return to Podcast