Next-generation "battle command and decision support" tech

Next-generation "battle command and decision support" tech

Postby Johnny 5 on 15 Jul 2008, 16:06

Is this for real???

The USC Information Sciences Institute is developing a next-generation "battle command and decision support" technology:

Can an artificial intelligence program anticipate military surprises? The USC Information Sciences Institute is playing a $7.6 million part in a DARPA research effort called Deep Green aimed at creating a system that can do so, one that might help future combat commanders in the field anticipate enemy moves.

The same system would look around and recruit additional computing resources if the situation were too dire, the problem too difficult.

Is it just me or does this sound like straight out of Wargames...? :shock:
Johnny 5

Re: Next-generation "battle command and decision support" tech

Postby alee on 15 Jul 2008, 16:20

As long as it's able to play tic-tac-toe I think we can feel reasonably assured it will make the right decisions.
alee

Postby nano on 15 Jul 2008, 16:51

In the article they say:

"But chess is a special, artificial situation," Cohen notes. "The pieces occupy fixed positions for long intervals, then move instantaneously."

A battlefield is a very different place, Cohen says. There, units on both sides are in continuous motion. Moreover, chess players can see the whole board, whereas commanders have limited visibility of the battlefield.

Maybe the AI behind solving tic-tac-toe or chess will be similar to that solving "battle command and decision support". I have the feeling though that the states involved in war scenarios are huge (number of soldiers, technologies, weapons, tasks). Also, I guess the most unpredictable elements are the humans themselves, which I would think make them quite difficult to model. Maybe in the end, if everyone ends up with such a decision system, we'll be back to adding "surprise" or randomness to our decision programs, and here we are, back to base!

Also, how do you predict a "surprise"? Doesn't it seem counter intuitive since a surprise is something which goes against the models you have of a situation?
small is beautiful
nano

Postby epokh on 17 Aug 2008, 23:32

I was doing an internship in Thales and occasionially put an eye on the tactical troup disposition.
In that case was a problem of linear programming: how to dispose the troups on the war field to optimize the fire range while keeping the different teams organized in a certain way and not exposed to ambush. This is the most easy scenario.
the most difficult one is the prevision you must do on a tradional game theory like scenario: the problem is that the rules are not so strict like in chess and the interaction is in a double contingency way (as theorized by luhmann). Players exibits mutual expectation and action, therefore it's an infinite loop that you can't trace. The more you go in the future the more you are unpredictable. It's a very novel field to explore, I would say it's more a social system rather then a competition game.
Roger Wico!
epokh

Return to Podcast