Podcast Feature Requests

Podcast Feature Requests

Postby John Payne on 05 Aug 2010, 17:52

I'd like to hear more emphasis on the participation of the researchers you interview in various organizations, for example the Robotics & Automation Society, perhaps beginning by encouraging them to include that aspect as they present themselves. This would help those of us not active in the field to assess which of these organizations are likely to be important going forward.

In particular, I'm curious to know which of these organizations might adopt the role of setting industry standards, whether mechanical, electrical, electronic, connectors, signals, or software, to help ensure interoperability, or behavioral standards for safety.

For myself, it would be most interesting if a standards body were to take responsibility for the continuing development of one or another of the open source robotics platforms currently in existence, providing a methodical process for both its extension and the deprecation of APIs that need to be replaced, and therefore a stable core around which experimenters could elaborate.
John Payne

Re: Podcast Feature Requests

Postby John Payne on 11 Oct 2010, 03:09

Someone who would make a great interviewee: Jerry Schneider, longtime webmaster of the Innovative Transportation website.

http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/
John Payne

Return to Podcast