Intelligent Surveillance & Security Guard Robot

Intelligent Surveillance & Security Guard Robot

Postby Johnny 5 on 05 Aug 2008, 17:42

It's been a while since this emerged, but the robotic sentry developed by Samsung's Techwin division to guard the border between North and South Korea should not be missing in a robot products section.

"The gist of this project is to transform the current guard and observation mission on fronts conducted by soldiers into a robot system," said Shin Hyun-don, a South Korean defense ministry spokesman, in an interview with The Korea Times. "We will comprehensively review the requirements of operational capability before implementing it."

Are the robots really there? Or can they be bought for the widely reported price for US$ 200'000? Not sure.

Samsung has taken all infos on the robot offline. Nevertheless, their patent and their promo video (below) and hundreds of news articles remain in the public domain.

Johnny 5

Re: Intelligent Surveillance & Security Guard Robot

Postby Johnny 5 on 05 Aug 2008, 17:44

PS: Maybe RoboCop's ED 209 has an answer to all the questions this raises:

Johnny 5

Postby Marvin on 13 Feb 2009, 10:26

According to some sources (see e.g. articles by the World Tribune, Defense Industry Daily, Robot Gossip and others) Israel has introduced a similar type of robot guard called "Sentry Tech" along its border to Gaza.

According to the articles, the system was introduced into service in May 2007. The system nicknamed "See-Shoot" is said to contain sensors and cameras deployed around border posts that could see more than one kilometer into the Gaza Strip.

Now that's depressing! :shock:

Anyone know more about this?

PS: Additional Reading Sources (listed in the Defense Tech article):
The Register (June 5/07): Israel deploys robo-snipers on Gaza border
Defense News (June 1/07): Israel Wants Robotic Guns, Missiles To Guard Gaza Border
The Register (March 14/07): South Korea to field gun-cam robots on DMZ: Stationary droids forced to sacrifice own lives for human overlords
RAFAEL: SAMSON RCWS Remote Controlled Weapon Stations
Samsung: SGR-A1
Marvin

Postby R2-D2 on 08 Apr 2009, 18:03

Hey podcasters

check out one of PW. Singers talk's he held at TED this February about robots for war and the consequences
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/pw_s ... f_war.html

frightening! :o

However I do not agree that robots evolve with Moore's law. Increased processing power does not imply increased intelligence or better sensors/hardware, isn't it?
R2-D2
R2-D2

Postby epokh on 10 Apr 2009, 16:14

Yes the author is very good in selling his ideas but he doesn't have any grasp about AI :shock:
rather than computanional power I would say more integration density and parallel computing.
What makes our brain different is parallel computation not the speed of computing :-)
Billions power in 10 years? :mrgreen:
epokh

Postby satishbhawra53 on 13 Oct 2009, 23:20

It's been a while since this emerged, but the robotic sentry developed by Samsung's Techwin division to guard the border between North and South Korea sh
satishbhawra53

Postby mary on 29 Oct 2009, 13:39

Hi and how are you? Satish bhawra.
I am Mary. I think intelligent Surveillance & Security Guard Robot is how effective to prevent anything goes wrong or to accuracy. It is good to invention of such a Robots are a huge achievements in it self. But after all nothing is cost much than human efforts. Hope this achievements can get good enough for big deals.
Thanks.
r4games
mary

Postby johncoths on 30 Oct 2009, 12:06

I guess using a security guard robot is really good and accurate but it seems like it is more expensive than human security. I think intelligent surveillance is enough for me for my home security system and some human security personnel.

Postby jim_locksmith on 06 May 2010, 19:11

yes i too would prefer that
Best Locksmiths Arizona providing expert locksmith services.
jim_locksmith

Return to Podcast