Marvin

Marvin

Postby Marvin on 27 Jun 2008, 16:14

Funny, how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does.

I've been cloned. Or rather, somebody has stolen my identity. Identity theft. Don't talk to me about identity theft.

... He is called Marvin works for nothing, doesn't get tired and doesn't complain.
Clearly, these people are not talking about me.

He is being equipped with sensors and adequate intelligence to be able to actively patrol the corridors of the University to detect intruders.
Clearly, a lesser robot, a lower caste so to speak. But "actively patrol the corridors"? The fella and I will at least share thoughts on our job: Call that job satisfaction 'cause I don't.

MARVIN is the flagship of Victoria University’s mobile robotic fleet.
Flagship. Look at the video. They guy is outsmarted by a brown paper bag.

... Still, where are my royalties???

http://www.victoria.ac.nz/scps/research ... arvin.aspx
Marvin

Re: Marvin

Postby nano on 27 Jun 2008, 16:27

This robot even looks somewhat like you...

Why do you need such a big bulky robot for corridor patrol, wouldn't a smaller less intrusive robot play the trick?
small is beautiful
nano

Postby Johnny 5 on 27 Jun 2008, 16:48

@Marvin:
Marvin, I am so sorry. This is truly horrible. Now you have every reason to be depressed! :(

@nano:
Yes, a smaller robot might do the trick, but why use a robot at all? This one cost 10'000 dollars to make!
I don't want to break the stride of robot enthusiasts, but wouldn't a few webcams instead of one robot provide a more complete surveillance solution by surveying many areas at once?
And given that you can get a webcam for 15 dollars these days, you could equip the university with a very evil number :twisted: of webcams at that!
Johnny 5

Postby nano on 09 Jul 2008, 19:47

small is beautiful
nano

Return to Podcast