A roadmap for US robotics

A roadmap for US robotics

Postby Markus Waibel on 05 Jun 2009, 08:40

A consortium of 200 North American universities in cooperation with a wide range of businesses have completed development of a roadmap for US robotics entitled "From Internet to Robotics".

The 94 page report gives an overview of the current situation and identifies near and long term applications including their critical requirements. It provides detailed roadmaps for the use of robotics in manufacturing, for service robots, and for medical and healthcare robotics and sets 5, 10, and 15 year goals to enable the proposed robotics applications.

The roadmap urges Congress to increase spending in the FY 2010 budget and calls on the Obama administration to establish a high profile position at the White House to coordinate and integrate robotics policy throughout government.

Roadmap for US robotics - From Internet to Robotics - PDF

Some more information:
US-Robotics
CRA
Markus Waibel
Robots Podcast Team Member

Re: A roadmap for US robotics

Postby technik on 17 Jun 2009, 07:37

This is interesting - one of my colleagues attended this and said i was pretty dry. I think a more interesting question is where does the community want to go to really catch people's eye? What do the people want out of robots? I hear a lot of murmurs about sex bots but I refuse to believe that it is the breakout application yet..
technik

Re: A roadmap for US robotics

Postby Johnny 5 on 19 Jun 2009, 09:32

technik wrote:What do the people want out of robots? I hear a lot of murmurs about sex bots but I refuse to believe that it is the breakout application yet..

I guess that's the key question, really - where is the market? For now development - at least in the US - is almost entirely driven by the military - how will it trickle down? What does Joe the plumber want to get out of robotics? I can think of a few things.

I quite like Rodney's proposition (see e.g. here) and could see that appeal to a Joe, but it's too early to tell if (and when) this can be made to work.

Toys or service robots (although creativity seems to have stopped at vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers) are obvious options as well. Sex robots? I've had numerous discussions about this but so far I haven't seen anything beyond latex dolls with a few servos.
Johnny 5

Return to Podcast