Episode 34 Contest: What is the greatest invention?

Episode 34 Contest: What is the greatest invention?

Postby Sabine Hauert on 11 Sep 2009, 11:09

In the spirit of creativity and invention, we're wondering what you, our audience thinks is the world's greatest invention! Let us know in the forum, for your chance to win a huge box of luxurious Swiss chocolate from one of Lausanne, Switzerland's finest hand-crafted luxury chocolate makers, Blondel chocolate. Feel free to be creative, and add a picture or YouTube video to convince us that your favorite invention is definitely the best. And if any of you are inventors yourselves, the forum's a great place to show us what you're made of!
robots... barrets... brass... bizzare... razor... aura... amora
Sabine Hauert
Robots Podcast Team Member

Re: Episode 34 Contest: What is the greatest invention?

Postby Chroino on 12 Sep 2009, 17:01

I'm tempted to go with something like the printing press or the internet, but I think I'll go with something a little different and say "The Scientific Method". Sure, it's not a physical invention, but I do think it is the greatest thing mankind has managed to come up with.
Chroino

Postby Pleonix on 17 Sep 2009, 09:34

Modern plumbing (Think about it!!).

Pleonix

Postby Gargamel on 17 Sep 2009, 09:37

OK, here's my greatest robotic invention ever:

http://www.youtube.com/v/d3ysomqy86U&hl=en

Hope you guys agree! :mrgreen: :lol: :geek:
Gargamel

Postby Johnny 5 on 17 Sep 2009, 09:42

maybe not really an invention and maybe not really the greatest, but it's all about the spirit and fun:

:idea:
Johnny 5

Postby R2-D2 on 18 Sep 2009, 04:09

Gargamel wrote:OK, here's my greatest robotic invention ever:

http://www.youtube.com/v/d3ysomqy86U&hl=en

Hope you guys agree! :mrgreen: :lol: :geek:

That's not a real robot, it's remote controlled...and it doesn't compute the catapult force. However it's cool, I agree.
But before you can throw it, you have to invent it!

Therefore, the best invention is quite old, bio-inspired and heavily automated these days:

that's a pretty boring video about stuff you already know.
Let's rather look why it is the best invention:
(put sound on )

R2-D2
R2-D2

Postby tictoc on 21 Sep 2009, 23:12

Time!

Or is that the worst?
tictoc

Postby IKE on 22 Sep 2009, 15:46

Chroino wrote:I'm tempted to go with something like the printing press or the internet, but I think I'll go with something a little different and say "The Scientific Method". Sure, it's not a physical invention, but I do think it is the greatest thing mankind has managed to come up with.

The question is very general so I think it is impossible to argue with Chroino's answer. Every great invention that I can think of, is backed from one of greater importance that ultimate leads to "the scientific method" of logic and mathematics. It is the invention (if we can stretch the term) that makes all inventions (and the inventing process) possible.

So this post is not a participation to the contest because Chroino gave the ultimate answer :D
IKE

Postby R2-D2 on 25 Sep 2009, 05:16

We should not forget to honor three great Swiss inventors: Cailler, Lindt and Peter.
Without their great, sweet inventions (smoothing, conching and adding condensed milk) we would not be able to win a box of chocolate of such quality in a robot podcast contest!

Did you know that one of the fastest robotic arm in the world (robot delta) was designed to sort and pack cookies and chocolates?
http://www.boschpackaging.com/demaurex/eng/69551.asp

R2-D2
R2-D2

Postby Chroino on 26 Sep 2009, 17:32

w00t

I emailed you guys with my email from www.plasticpals.com. I live in Canada, so I hope the shipping isn't too expensive :D
Chroino

Return to Podcast